Capital of the Tuscany region and rich of invaluable artistic treasures of painting, architecture and sculpture, Firenze attracts every year millions of visitors from all over the world. The month of October is one of the best to enjoy the city, and wander through its narrow streets and “piazze,” being struck by the harmonious blending of medieval public buildings and Renaissance churches and palaces, visiting museums (such as the Uffizi Gallery or the Accademia), and tasting Florentine cooking. The weather in October is still mild and agreeable. Information about Firenze can be found, among others, at the following websites:
Italy has joined the Schengen system giving total freedom of movement within all the territories of the Schengen agreement signatory states. Admission to Italian territory for nationals of all the countries of the European Union and the European Economic Area is permitted if in possession of a valid passport or another travel document recognised as valid by the Italian government. Nationals of any other states outside the Schengen Area should check the visa requirements for admission to Italian territory at: www.esteri.it.
- By plane
- Firenze International Airport “Amerigo Vespucci” (IATA code: FLR) is connected to the main European cities. Information is available at: www.aeroporto.firenze.it . It is located 4 km (2.5 miles) from Firenze and it can be reached by taxi (20 minutes) or by the shuttle bus Vola in bus, a special connection service from/to the Vespucci Airport andSanta Maria Novella train station. For additional information call “Pronto ATAF” toll free no. 800 424500 (from Italy).
- Pisa International Airport “Galileo Galilei” (IATA code: PSA) is connected to the main European cities. Information is available at: www.pisa-airport.it . It is 60 km (38 miles) from Firenze and can be reached in 1 hour by train from Santa Maria Novella train station: 3 trains per hour are scheduled daily from/to Pisa Centrale and Pisa Airport from 06.00 a.m. to 22.00 p.m.
- By train
Fast trains “Freccia Rossa” connect Firenze to the main cities in Italy: Milan (2h10′), Rome (1h 40′). Train timetable and online ticket purchase can be accessed at www.trenitalia.com . Firenze has four train stations:
- Firenze Santa Maria Novella Central Station (main city station): 80 metres from the Conference venue at Palazzo dei Congressi
- Firenze Rifredi (most “Freccia Rossa” trains stop here; shuttle trains to SMN station run every 10′): 2 km away (1.2 miles)
- Firenze Campo di Marte: 2 km away (1.2 miles)
- Firenze Statuto 1 km away (0.6 miles)
- By car
An efficient motorway network connects Firenze to the rest of Italy and Europe. Routes, maps and travel distances can be found at www.viamichelin.it. The Conference venue at Palazzo dei Congressi is just 7 km (4.5 miles) from the Firenze Nordexit of the main Italian motorway A1 “Autostrada del Sole“. Two car parkings are just 100 metres away.
|RECORD HIGH °C (°F)||36.4
|AVERAGE HIGH °C (°F)||26
|AVERAGE LOW °C (°F)||14
|RECORD LOW °C (°F)||3.6
|PRECIPITATION MM (INCHES)||78
Official time in Italy is UTC/GMT +1 hour. Current local time, together with current weather and weather forecast of Firenze, are available at: www.timeanddate.com.
Other useful information
Additional useful information can be found in brief on staying in Firenze.